Re: about mdadm 2.5-1/experimental

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2006.06.01.0240 +0200]:
> I have uploaded mdadm 2.4.1-2 to unstable (should be ready for
> (non-production) use, no *big* changes), and 2.5-1 to experimental
> (*big* changes, works in my case, YMMV).

-3 and -2 are now there, respectively, fixing FTBFS bugs. 2.5-3 is
forthcoming (with a better init.d script[0]), as is a new upstream.

0. http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20060601.165154.22b957f1.en.html

While 2.4.1-3 should be ready for use, I do not really trust 2.5-2
yet, even though it works in my case. I rewrote most of the
initramfs-tools integration, and as I am sure you know, a lot can
break that way.

Thus I will leave 2.5* in experimental for a while, until I heard
from enough people that it works, and there haven't been serious

REPEAT: I will not move 2.5 to unstable until sufficient people have
tested it in experimental.

Thus, please test if you can. One reasonably fail-proof way to do so
is to copy the initrd in /boot, and to create an additional stanza
in grub:

  ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r){,.before-mdadm-2.5}
  cp /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r){,.before-mdadm-2.5}

This will cause grub to default to the known-to-be-working initial
ramdisk on boot. To test the new ramdisk, you select the
appropriate choice. The old ramdisk should work perfectly fine with
2.5 userspace.

Again, please note

Thanks for your assistance.

`. `'`
it's as bad as you think, and they are out to get you.