Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On 5/26/06, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:

While you're obviously free to set your own standards as to whose keys
you sign and not, I have come to the conclusion that the "exact same
spelling" requirement doesn't make that much sense.  As an example, take
Bdale whose real name isn't Bdale, but Barksdale Garbee III (iirc, it's
been some time since I last saw his passport, apologies if for any
misspellings, etc).  He goes by the name of Bdale and more people know
him by that name than by Barksdale, so signing his key based on this
makes sense.  The same goes for middle names people never use, etc.

Me too. My passport and NZ Driver's License both say Penelope, but I have gone by Penny all my life, and that's the name on my key.

I'm pretty sure there were people at Debconf5 who didn't sign my key because of this.  That's fine, everyone is entitled to their choice, although it struck me as a little bit silly. Penny is clearly short for Penelope.  Perhaps this was my bad when I made the key & displayed a lack of foresight.

This is probably not really a useful contribution to this discussion; carry on.

Penny

--
context: http://she.geek.nz || http://catalyst.net.nz