Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 07:15:53AM +1200, Penny Leach wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:

> While you're obviously free to set your own standards as to whose keys
> >you sign and not, I have come to the conclusion that the "exact same
> >spelling" requirement doesn't make that much sense.  As an example, take
> >Bdale whose real name isn't Bdale, but Barksdale Garbee III (iirc, it's
> >been some time since I last saw his passport, apologies if for any
> >misspellings, etc).  He goes by the name of Bdale and more people know
> >him by that name than by Barksdale, so signing his key based on this
> >makes sense.  The same goes for middle names people never use, etc.

> Me too. My passport and NZ Driver's License both say Penelope, but I have
> gone by Penny all my life, and that's the name on my key.

> I'm pretty sure there were people at Debconf5 who didn't sign my key because
> of this.  That's fine, everyone is entitled to their choice, although it
> struck me as a little bit silly. Penny is clearly short for Penelope.
> Perhaps this was my bad when I made the key & displayed a lack of foresight.

Well, it's clear to you and it's clear to many other native English
speakers, but for people who don't speak English natively, nickname mappings
may be non-obvious.  I always tell people who notice "Stephen" on my ID vs.
"Steve" on my key that yes, that's a normal English nickname, but if you're
not comfortable with this explanation, please do not sign my key.

Because again, the web of trust in Debian circles is already pretty darn
strong as it is, and I don't need people to cut corners in the name of
upping key rankings.  I'd much rather be promoting responsible keysigning
practices than worrying about whether my key is the 250th or 249th
best-connected key in the world.