Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Wed, 24 May 2006 07:41:04 -0500, Matthew R. Dempsky wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:10:43AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
>> Sure we could just have disclosed the license to -legal beforehand, but
>> then Sun probably would never talk to us about doing things like this
>> one again and just tend to OpenSUSE or some other community
>> distribution next time to collaborate with when they might open source
>> Java.
>
> Sun's non-free software is *that* important to Debian?

Don't miss the text book straw man.¹ Breaching confidences by disclosing
the license beforehand is a misrepresentation of the best alternative:
simply letting Sun know that community consultation is going to be
necessary and that consultation can occur when Sun chooses to publish its
license.

It's preposterous that Sun would otherwise never talk to Debian again and
collaborate with some other "community distribution". Amusingly this
Doomsday scenario is only adverted through the community distribution
keeping its activities secret.

Regards,
Adam

1. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man>