Re: Sun Java available from non-free

I don't have a particular opinion for Java in Debian or not, but there
are some points you raise:

Am Sonntag, den 21.05.2006, 12:34 -0500 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
> In that case, ftpmasters accepted it, end of discussion.

Don't you think that the main problem here is that there *wasn't* any
discussion, at least for the vast majority of Debian developers and
users? And yes, as a Debian user I'm surprised that such decisions are
taken behind closed doors; this is not a security related issue and it
wouldn't have done any harm to Debian to discuss this in the open.

If that had delayed the inclusion, so be it; after several years without
Sun's Java in Debian, some more weeks wouldn't have hurt neither users
nor the project itself.

> Furthermore, doing a bit of Debian PR by having a timely announce of the
> new java license, is good for us too.

I agree with you that it was a good PR stunt. At the same time, it was
an internal communication disaster.

Oh, and the impression that pushing non-free packages in after several
hours has a high priority, while (license-wise) simple packages linger
for weeks in NEW was probably a bonus[1].

> > It would be bad PR if Debian will have to remove Sun Java from the
> > archive, shortly after public announcements that it accepted it in.
>
> No it wouldn't.

Well, there I disagree with you: it would. At the very least, it would
give the impression that Debian can't decide what it wants.

[1] Yes, I know that this was due to the fact, that three ftp-admins
have examined the license probably far longer than the package was in
the NEW queue. Why do I know it? Because AJ did *communicate* it.

Regards
	Thomas