Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Hi,

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 08:27:10AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 03:58:18PM -0500, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > Oh, and the impression that pushing non-free packages in after several
> > > hours has a high priority, while (license-wise) simple packages linger
> > > for weeks in NEW was probably a bonus[1].
> >
> > I have to agree this sucks but if you have the schedule in mind it's easy
> > to understand:
> > - NEW is done by Joerg usually, he's organizing debconf so there's a
> >   backlog due to that
>
> So why is Java su much more important than all other packages in NEW?
> Keep in mind that this is the only package that was processed by someone
> not equal Joerg. If this was just done for PR, fine, but please tell us.

As stated before, this was a coordinated release together with Sun and
Ubuntu.  People from all parties worked together on this, and decided to
use both Debconf[1] and JavaOne to announce this, which obviously put
some time and manpower constraints to the license review, NEW
processing, ITPing, etc.

I think this was somewhat similar to the embargoed security releases our
security team handles for us.  Sure we could just have disclosed the
license to -legal beforehand, but then Sun probably would never talk to
us about doing things like this one again and just tend to OpenSUSE or
some other community distributino next time to collaborate with when
they might open source Java.

Michael

--
[1] Once the Debconf videos are available, watching the last couple of
minutes of the `Ubuntu Annual Report' talk will prove interesting.