Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:35:33PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The difference would be that while you would act against the original
> author's wishes if you were to put warez on your server, the same isn't
> true about Sun Java. In fact, Sun explicitely asked us to please
> distribute their software. I'd say that accounts to something, and that
> a Judge who feels different isn't worth his job.

I already admitted that the example doesn't cut it. But again most
discussion is about the "allowance to distribute". I don't see a problem
with this. But I see a problem with the idemnify clause. That's why I
tried this example because it doesn't help if you stop distributing java
if you are already in a bind to idemnify Sun.

> Try as I might, and considering how lawyers and judges are human beings
> and not automatons, I can't see any realistic scenario in which we could
> be sued and lose a case in relation to this license. Do you?

Yes, I do, but not for distributing it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes