Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 18:54 +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > because non-glibc Debian architectures does exists (i.e.
> > FreeBSD,Solaris,Darwin), and it is time to consider them and accept
> > their existence. Those core architectures are open sourced and their
> > communities will only grow over time. It is not like they will
> > disappear, that means Debian must adjust to the new fact of life: "we
> > have more than one major OS totally open-sourced at its core".
>
> Again, there's a certain difference between “there exist more than one free
> kernel and libc” (ignoring the problems the current Sun license might have
> with the DFSG) and “Debian must do whatever Nexenta wishes”. This isn't a new
> situation -- the BSDs have been around forever. I think you'd meet a lot more
> acceptance and friendliness if you stopped insisting that Debian unilaterally
> adopted your conclusions and world view.

I would like to add that I would happily accept patches submitted to BTS
if it doesn't break anything.  But I won't check some obscure logs just
to make life of Nexenta easier, and certainly not after I have seen so
much unrelated marketing blobs posted on {ubuntu,debian}-devel from
Nexenta people.  So it's only your effort to supply enough
information/patches if you are interested in seamless recompiling of
debian packages on Nexenta.

Ondrej.
--
Ondrej Sury <ondrej@sury.org>