Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 09:49 +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Sunday 21 May 2006 05:35, Erast Benson wrote:
> > >
> > > Erm.
> > >
> > > If Oracle and SAP are on your list of “simple things”, what then are
> > > large complex things for you?
> >
> > But I hope you still got me right. For me, all these "things" are
> > existing applications which must run. The world is not 100% open sourced
> > yet and we are in it, we are part of it, therefore my ideal OS need to
> > be capable to run existing freeware and closed binaries as is without
> > re-compilation. I want to run VMware, Oracle, Skype, SAP, Macromedia
> > flush, etc, etc, etc. I want my Nexenta to run DTrace, BrandZ
> > virtualization, ZFS, Zones without major re-design, etc, etc, etc...
> >
> > Once you accompany OpenSolaris kernel with GLIBC, you will kill this
> > capability, you will not be able to run anything other than OSS compiled
> > for your particular distro. That was my point. And isn't LSB is what
> > GNU/Linux moving towards to? In OpenSolaris we have its Core which we
> > following as a standard and I don't see any single reason not to do so.
>
> You have your points right, but you should realize that Debian GNU / <Kernel>,
> is glibc based. This means that your Base System without the kernel should
> come from GNU sources. Having that said, you should invest some efforts to
> port glibc to the Solaris (or OpenSolaris, Nevada, whatever[1]) kernel (to
> support all these fancy features mentioned above), as this has been done for
> glibc and the FreeBSD kernel by Bruno Haible.

I'm personally will not do that. As I said earlier, I did it a year ago,
I even managed to run statically linked binaries on GLIBC + OpenSolaris
kernel. Than I realized that the resulted Operating Environment will not
be compatible with *anything* existing... how much it will be better
than GNU/Linux or GNU/OpenSolaris or SUN/OpenSolaris? I realized that
porting effort might be greatly minimized by utilizing different
approaches:

1) provide 100% Debian environment, so native Debian scripts will run as
is;
2) extend SUN C library with missing GLIBC functionality;
3) use of side libraries like libiconv, gettext, libintl;
4) use of transitional packages.

As the result, we are fast approaching to the point when all existing
Debian APT repo will be fully ported to Nexenta. We have 7000+ packages
at the moment and will probably have 10000+ by the end of next month.

--
Erast