Re: debian and UDEV

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:22:47PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> The only other solution that keeps the asynchronisity is what Joey
> suggested at the start: Instead of waiting/polling for udev events to
> finish move the code into udev rules that get called asynchronously
> when the devices appear.

Yep, that's the fix.

> That means overhauling the complete boot concept of Debian.

Yes, it's just about time.

> Not something I would do lightly. And not always easy.

Nobody said it will be. But somebody should start it.

> E.g. how do you convert startx into an udev rule so it can load
> the mouse modules savely?

By the time the user types his/her password and starts startx the mouse
will be surely detected (unless it is a broken USB device you said you
do not want to care about).

In case of {x|g|k}dm, by the time you sort out the boot process Xorg
will have input device hotplug so you can start it from the fbdev rule,
and the X server will start using the mouse automatically when it is
detected. In the mean time adding "sleep 10" to /etc/init.d/{x|g|k}dm is
an acceptable workaround.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
     Laboratory of Parallel and Distributed Systems
     Address   : H-1132 Budapest Victor Hugo u. 18-22. Hungary
     Phone/Fax : +36 1 329-78-64 (secretary)
     W3        : http://www.lpds.sztaki.hu