Re: debian and UDEV

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:14:48PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I don't see it as a general issue either; if you have problems of this type,
> > you should report them to the bug tracking system so that they can be fixed.
> > Debian as an organization can't hope to test all of the hardware available
> > in the market, so we rely on feedback from folks such as yourself to let us
> > know when there is a problem.
>
> The most hideous problem of hotplug/udev is the following:
>
> You can't wait for an hotplug/udev event to be done processing. That
> is always done asynchron without any feedback of completion.

You don't need to wait for a particular event to be finished processing;
instead you should wait for the resource you actually need to become
available, e.g. a device node.

It would be useful to add a simple utility for this to debianutils or
similar so that it doesn't need to be reimplemented in so many places.

--
 - mdz