Re: debian and UDEV

Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> writes:

>> And that is what I consider broken. I know it is not going to change
>> but I pain for all the users (and myself) that will (and already have
>> been) get hit by problems caused by it.
>
> Then why not start working on a solution? There are several distros
> running udev, surely it would be possible to build a database of common
> problems and find solutions?
>
> Gabor

Because the only _solution_ with current userspace is to kill the
kernels hotplug design and go back to synchronous handling. And that
is not going to happen.

Anything else is just a work around that tries to hide the race
conditions in current userspace environments.

The only other solution that keeps the asynchronisity is what Joey
suggested at the start: Instead of waiting/polling for udev events to
finish move the code into udev rules that get called asynchronously
when the devices appear. That means overhauling the complete boot
concept of Debian. Not something I would do lightly. And not always
easy. E.g. how do you convert startx into an udev rule so it can load
the mouse modules savely?

MfG
        Goswin