Re: effectiveness of rsync and apt

I demand that Andreas Barth may or may not have written...

> * Brian Eaton (eaton.lists@gmail.com) [060501 19:21]:
>> On 5/1/06, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
>>> Or you could create the diffdebs before upload or on ftp-master, and
>>> include the diffdebs somehow in the Packages file (so they're signed as
>>> well by the usual mechanismn).

>> My initial view is that any delta package system that doesn't reproduce
>> the exact same .debs as downloading the package from scratch is a
>> non-starter.

> Why that? Of course, you need all the maintainer scripts etc in the
> diffdeb, but not all the regular files.

I wouldn't like to rely on the admin not having modified any of the package's
files (/etc aside). Yes, this shouldn't happen, but it does :-)

Of course, if you're running md5sums on all of the package's files, this can
be caught...

[snip]
| + Lobby friends, family, business, government.    WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

regular guy: n. A person who occurs at fixed or pre-arranged intervals.