Re: effectiveness of rsync and apt

On 5/1/06, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
* Brian Eaton (eaton.lists@gmail.com) [060501 16:42]:
> On 5/1/06, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> >
> >If one does it right, it might be enough if the original package is
> >*installed*. And that happens quite often, e.g. even for security
> >upgrades.

> So to do this you'd rebuild the original .debs on the fly, from the
> files installed on the system?  Cool!  Do you know if anyone has tried
> doing this?

No, why? You could just create a diffdeb that contains only the changed
files.

That sounds reasonable.  It depends on the mechanism used to cache
checksums on the server side.  If you're going to handle individual
files instead of .debs, you would need to run the checksum routines on
the files individually instead of on the .debs as a whole.

I don't know enough about the .deb format to say which is more practical.

Regards,
Brian