Re: effectiveness of rsync and apt

On 5/1/06, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
* Brian Eaton (eaton.lists@gmail.com) [060501 15:51]:
> The only time delta packages will be a win is for upgrades where the
> client has the original package cached.

If one does it right, it might be enough if the original package is
*installed*. And that happens quite often, e.g. even for security
upgrades.

So to do this you'd rebuild the original .debs on the fly, from the
files installed on the system?  Cool!  Do you know if anyone has tried
doing this?

I'm still not convinced that upgrades are the majority of the
bandwidth.  I'd like to prove it, one way or the other.  And the only
way I can think of to prove it is to look at logs.

Regards,
Brian