Re: Closing a bug vs. tagging wontfix

    Roberto> 3. Propose the addition of a "notabug" tag

Where do you draw the line between "wontfix" and "notabug"?

A feature request[1] that cannot be implemented without changing
standard Unix semantics could be seen as either category.

A feature request that has been rejected upstream as inappropriate
could also be seen as either category.

In other cases, a bug seen by the maintainer as "notabug" might really
be a bug, but the solution given by the submitter is inappropriate -
it might be a matter of using lateral thinking in order to work out
what the problem really is and to solve it.

Even if a user is a complete idiot and misuses the application, maybe
that is an indication of poor documentation or not-obvious/overly
complicated program design (wontfix) as opposed to being a false bug
report (notabug).

Notes:

[1] For example I have had a bug report telling me a program should
change the environment of the calling process. #345443.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>