Re: So we got caught, so what? But we did the right thing.

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 21:48 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > Is same-sex marriage legally recognized in Utah?  If not, then
> > there is only "hetero marriage".  You can't discriminate against
> > what doesn't exist.
>
> To my knowledge, the courts of Utah have never said anything about
> same-sex marriages entered into in other jurisdictions.
>
> Still, regardless of whether the state of Utah recognizes a marriage,
> that is surely a different question from whether the marriage has, in
> fact, occurred.

Making that distinction is, IMO, cracking open a very large barrel
of very nasty monkeys.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940