Re: Upload getting lost

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:36:39PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:08:21AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

>>> The problem is the : in your .changes name. The match is:
>>> re_taint_free = re.compile(r"^[-+~/\.\w]+$");

>>> You probably want to use a + instead.

>> So you are telling me this is a dpkg-source bug? The filenames are
>> chosen by dpkg-source.

> Which uses debian/changelog ... the ":" is used to indicate a
> "period", period can be used to use smaller upstream version if you
> increased it by error (or if you really need to use an older
> upstream version).

> The period should be a single digit in most cases, and here you have a
> period with dots in it.

As other people have pointed out later in the thread, my point was
that I was _not_ having an epoch with dots in it; my version string
was 0:1.2.7:1.2.8-1, which is explicitly allowed by policy (if there
is an epoch, then the upstream version can contain a colon.) and
parses as:

 - epoch: 0
 - upstream version: 1.2.7:1.2.8
 - Debian revision: 1

I don't particularly care whether we allow colons in upstream version
or not, but the behaviour of katie / britney / dpkg / ... and policy
should definitely be consistent.

Whether this is achieved by having dpkg-source not use ":" in the
filenames even when the upstream version contains one or in another
way is, I suppose, open to discussion.

--
Lionel