Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 09:08 -0300, André Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira wrote:
> 2006/4/11, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org>:
> > * Andr Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira <andrelrf@gmail.com> [060411 18:45]:
> > > - x-window-system-core
> > > - xfce4 (beautiful!)
> > > - gdm
> > [...]
> > > - gnome-ppp
> > > - gnome-utils
> >
> > Definitions differ, but I'd not call something "light" pulling in
> > half of gnome. What about "Debian Light Gnome Desktop"?
>
> Is true...but I don't are using nautilus and metacity, only some gnome
> applications.

It's still pulling in many GNOME libs and apps.  Even AbiWord sucks
in many GNOME libs.

Better, IMHO, to stick with, _at_the_heaviest_, XFce and GTK2 apps.

Is there *any* "nice" semi-lightweight WP that doesn't consume mass
quantities of RAM?  Something along the size of Word & Excel 97 or
Word Perfect 6.0, that use GTK2 and work well on 300MHz machines.
Doesn't even have to interpret MSFT files.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory."
John Kenneth Galbraith