Is there a policy for the .desktop files?

Hi all.

Applications can be listed in the non-debian menu of desktop managers
such as Gnome and Kde by dropping a applicationname.desktop file in
/usr/share/applications/.

There is a lot activity in Ubuntu to provide applicationname.desktop
files to packages which lack them, so I decided to write one for a
package I am currently preparing (treeviewx, ITP#352506).

However, I could not find something equivalent to the menu policy. Can
any program register itself in the Application menu of Gnome and KDE, or
does it has to be done in coordination wiht the teams responsible for
these desktops ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles