Re: Is there a policy for the .desktop files?

Charles...

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:38:59AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Applications can be listed in the non-debian menu of desktop managers
> such as Gnome and Kde by dropping a applicationname.desktop file in
> /usr/share/applications/.
>
> There is a lot activity in Ubuntu to provide applicationname.desktop
> files to packages which lack them, so I decided to write one for a
> package I am currently preparing (treeviewx, ITP#352506).

Good idea. My GUI packages also contain a .desktop file. The cluttered
classical "Debian" menu has a lot of potential for improvement. :)

> However, I could not find something equivalent to the menu policy.

IMHO there is none yet.

> Can any program register itself in the Application menu of Gnome and KDE,
> or does it has to be done in coordination wiht the teams responsible for
> these desktops ?

Just provide a .desktop file with the appropriate information. Here is the
formal description of .desktop files:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/desktop-entry-spec

In my experience not all categories worked in my KDE Sid installation.
I didn't investigate that, yet.

Kind regards
 Christoph Haas
--