Re: When to drop/split/summ changelog files

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:13:24PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Rather arbitrarily, just feels more or less safe:  cut everything from
> before oldstable release.  Based on the assumption that oldstable -> stable
> updates occur more or less over the whole stable+1 development circle.
>
> So currently, I'd cut everything that pre-dates woody release - probably
> nobody will do a potato -> woody upgrade.

I think one should keep the whole changelog. Most of them won't be
really big anyway, and take a neglectable amount of diskspace. It can be
relevant for other reasons that seeing differences between two certain
versions: To see why (or that) a certain change was made, perhaps in
response to which bug. This is what I use changelogs for mostly, only in
a small minority of cases I really want to know when a certain change
was made (and even then, it matter whether you can confirm the change
was made $long_ago, or perhaps just not documented and might be made
unmentioned later on).

I don't see why one would drop such historical information, even if only
interesting for just that -- historical information.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl