Re: When to drop/split/summ changelog files

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:13:24PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Sunday 26 March 2006 20:18, Nico Golde wrote:
> > Hi,
> > what would be the appropriate way to handle large and old
> > debian changelog files.
>
> Rather arbitrarily, just feels more or less safe:  cut everything from
> before oldstable release.  Based on the assumption that oldstable -> stable
> updates occur more or less over the whole stable+1 development circle.
>
> So currently, I'd cut everything that pre-dates woody release - probably
> nobody will do a potato -> woody upgrade.  But woody is still quite a bit
> in use, and so those people could track the changelog without looking at
> multiple versions even if they do partial upgrades and their system spans
> woody to sid.  (Obviously some person will have a system spanning potato to
> sid and miss the most relevant entry.  So never cutting changelogs is
> another very obvious possibility....)

Please always keep the full Debian changelog information in the package.
Of course, you can move very old changelog entry to changelog.old or
changelog.1 if they cause problems, but ship them in the deb.

When renaming a package try to migrate the old changelog to the new
one to preserve it.

In a large part, changelogs are the history books of Debian. We can
learn about what was Debian in the past by reading the changelog.
apt and dpkg changelog are very interesting reading.

I know it is very useful to me to have the changelog of menu from 1996
on.

The changelogs are a legacy we own to the future Debian developers.

Thanks for considering,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.