Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> `--host=HOST-TYPE'
>>      the type of system on which the package will run.  By default it
>>      is the same as the build machine.  Specifying it enables the
>>      cross-compilation mode.

>> There's a long archived discussion on the Autoconf mailing list about it.

> Is there a one-sentence summary of the reason for the change?

It's been a while, and I'm not sure that I completely followed the
discussion and all of the arguments.  However, if I were to hazard an
attempt, I'd say:

    The new behavior is easier to explain, easier for humans to predict
    in the presence of auto-generated arguments to --host and --build,
    and easier to implement in Autoconf.