Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Am Donnerstag, 9. März 2006 03:12 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> > I'm one of the people who actually helped design the GNU Makefile and
> > configure standards, and --host does not "signal that you're
> > cross-compiling."  What signals that you are cross-compiling is a
> > disagreement between --host and --build.
>
> That's the old way.  Autoconf changed this in the current releases.  Now,
> specifying --host signals that you're cross-compiling, whether it
> disagrees or not.
>
> Yes, this was not a backward compatible change.  A lot of people were
> upset about it.  And yes, it was a change in the GNU Makefile and
> configure standards.  But see the current Autoconf manual:
>
> `--host=HOST-TYPE'
>      the type of system on which the package will run.  By default it
>      is the same as the build machine.  Specifying it enables the
>      cross-compilation mode.

That's insane. However, it doen't say anything about the sitution of --build
and --host are used and both contain the same value.
Work-around for the compiler could be to ship with symbolic links, e.g.
gcc -> gcc-4.0 -> i686-linux-gcc-4.0

Now autoconf has no problem in finding the proper compiler even if not really
cross-compiling, does it?

HS

        oder über pgp.net