Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Russ Allbery wrote:

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

Please just add the recommended --host and --build makefile snippet and
feed that to configure in *all* packages.  It is better in the long run,
and for many packages that is enough to have it cross-compile correctly.

Okay, will do.

I suppose the patches to debian/rules would be welcome on this list,
no?

This would be a great lintian check, although tricky to write because
people pass makefile variables and the like to configure.  A good first
pass might be to just assume everything is fine if there's some makefile
variable on the configure invocation line.  (That check may also lose if
the package has a script that the user runs called configure but the
script isn't an Autoconf script, but I'm not sure if that happens for any
of our packages.)

And what about adding some magic to dpkg-buildpackage.orig to
monitor the output of `debian/rules build` and complain if --host
is missing on the commanline of ./configure?