Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Le lundi 30 janvier 2006 à 10:20 +1100, Matthew Palmer a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 02:58:05PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > There have already been - admittedly sporadic - proposals to rewrite
> > some key parts of the system, like the init scripts or adduser, in
> > python. However, if the proponent knows from the beginning the
> > implementation wouldn't be accepted because of the language it is
> > written in, you can't expect him to start working on it.
>
> What's this "wouldn't be accepted" nonsense?  Are you seriously suggesting
> that, if someone rewrote adduser in Python, that it would be rejected by the
> ftpmasters *because* it was written in Python?

Yes, this is because all dependencies of a package must be of equal or
higher priority. Having adduser depending on python would imply to
increase the priority of python.

> > Putting python in the set of required packages today would simply be a
> > waste of resources. But accepting the idea of putting it in *if* a good
> > enough application shows up is the necessary step to have the
> > applications show up. Some people here are refusing it by principle.
>
> They're refusing it on the principle of "the cost/benefit ratio sucks".  Not
> a bad principle, as things go.

The arguments I've heard most are not about that ratio. They're only
about "but you can do it in perl!".