Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> One example is .config maintainer scripts, some of which are quite complex
> and worth writing in a higher-level language than shell.

This is surely true; Steve Langasek asked if this was a real issue in
Ubuntu or merely a potential issue.

Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.

Or, we say "we aren't going to support *every* high-level language"
and stick to one.