Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:42:57PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Programs that want to use python can assume that python-minimal is
> there (since it's Essential), and since python-minimal is never
> installed without python also installed, they can also now assume that
> all of python, including foobie, is there.
>
> What am I missing?

The difference between "installed" ("was installed initially") and
"installed" ("is installed now").  The compromise we struck with upstream
was that we would not give the user a system with a "broken" Python.  If
they create one on their own, that's their business (and they could strip it
down themselves anyway).

--
 - mdz