Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Le samedi 28 janvier 2006 à 12:47 +0100, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> > However we have to accept the use of python in more base and required
> > packages. This brings python in as a dependency, that's all. But it
> > has the same consequences as making it essential. If, as it has
> > already been suggested, software like init or adduser was replaced by
> > python implementations, would they be rejected?
>
> Yes, because python is not Essential.

Oh, so you would reject packages depending on libc6, too?

> Personally, I'd prefer to throw out perl rather than to add python. Our
> set of Essential packages is bloated already as it is.

Feel free to rewrite the perl parts of all essential packages in C. I
think it would be a great improvement nevertheless.

> There is a difference between "COBOL on VMS" and "Python vs Ruby".
> Indeed, there is a very strong following of people programming in
> Python; but the same is true for Ruby. So why add Python and not Ruby?

Because python and ruby have similar features, and the former is more
widely spread and used.