Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

[Josselin Mouette]
> Because python and ruby have similar features

Same with perl and python.

> and the former is more widely spread and used.

Same with perl and python.

Actually these days perl and python are fairly evenly split, but even
so, there's no need for both.  Of 63 config scripts on my system, only
4 are in perl.  Of 589 postrm scripts, only 2 are in perl, and they're
both Linux kernel images.  Apparently good old POSIX shell is good
enough for the vast majority of packages.