Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>
>>> No, not yet.  The promotion to Essential needed to happen prior to
>>> writing any such scripts.
>
>> Are there .config scripts written in other languages?
>
> I would expect so, given that there are .config scripts written in Perl in
> Debian.  In krb5-config, for instance, there is a bit of Perl code that
> parses the default realm out of an existing /etc/krb5.conf file.  It's
> possible to rewrite that code in sed (I've done it), but it's not quite as
> thorough and it's less maintainable.

Yeah, I know that Debian has them, of course.  My question is a little
narrower (though I phrased it badly).  I'm wondering whether Ubuntu
has many .config scripts that it writes, which are written in (say)
Perl.

Though I think really my principal argument against adding
python-minimal to Essential is that there is no way to do it which is
not an invitation to users to use it as such (and this is contrary to
upstream's ideas of what Python is all about), and even more, that we
don't need every scripting language in Essential.  We need one, and
Perl is decent enough, and we have chosen it and can use it.

Thomas