Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

>> No, not yet.  The promotion to Essential needed to happen prior to
>> writing any such scripts.

> Are there .config scripts written in other languages?

I would expect so, given that there are .config scripts written in Perl in
Debian.  In krb5-config, for instance, there is a bit of Perl code that
parses the default realm out of an existing /etc/krb5.conf file.  It's
possible to rewrite that code in sed (I've done it), but it's not quite as
thorough and it's less maintainable.