Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 03:08:32PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:00:53PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I believe there are still packages which break when bin-NMU'd (e.g.,
> > Depends: = ${Source-Version}), and there are parts of our infrastructure
> > which do not support them (Ubuntu doesn't do bin-NMUs).  If it were
> > essential to version the packages differently, I would say that the source
> > package versions should be changed as well.  Bin-NMUs are more trouble than
> > they are worth.
>
> The Source-Version problem will not affect Ubuntu because they rebuild
> both binary: all and binary: any packages. The issue with Debian style
> binNMU is that we only rebuild the binary: any packages that will have
> a different source version than the binary: all packages.
> You just need to bump the version before rebuilding the packages and
> that's it. It is not different from rebuilding the packages after a
> minor change.

You're reiterating what I've said: binNMUs won't really work; updating the
source package version would be the more reasonable way to accomplish the
same goal (though there are definitely tradeoffs there as well, and I think
we have more important issues to tackle at this point).

> > Why is it now important to you that the version numbers be changed,
> > though?  This is only an issue when mixing packages between different
> > derivatives, which already breaks in other subtle ways, so I'm not very
> > much inclined to try to un-break it in this particular way, given that
> > it's non-trivial.
>
> At least to avoid namespace conflict between Debian and Ubuntu .deb files.

That seems like an abstract goal; what actual problem would be solved?

--
 - mdz