Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:47:35AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> wrote:
> > 1) No changes rebuild-only upload should still be versionned so that we
> > do not end up with two .deb with the same version but different
> > contents. Rebuilding a package with a newer toolchain can cause
> > different dependencies and bugs.
>
> In ubuntu, no changes rebuild-only get the suffix 'buildX' or
> 'ubuntuX+1', depending if it has already diverged. Packages with
> 'buildX' suffix get synced automatically on the next upload to debian.

Are you sure ? Compare the menu package at
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/admin/menu>
with the one in sid. They have the same versions (2.1.27) but not the
same content (at least the dependencies are different.)
No buildX or ubuntuX suffix.

> > 2) I find a bit odd to be called the maintainer of a package I did not
> > test and that I cannot change anyway.
>
> Ubuntu has a different understanding of the maintainer field of a package.

Wonderful.

> > 3) The name of the Ubuntu developers which have tested the package
> > before uploading it is not mentionned in the case of a no-changes
> > upload. I am refraining from assuming there were none.
>
> It is in debian/changelog.

Grab the package at the URL above abnd check the changelog: no mention
of any Ubuntu developers.

Cheers,
Bill.