Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:47:35AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> wrote:
> > 1) No changes rebuild-only upload should still be versionned so that we
> > do not end up with two .deb with the same version but different
> > contents. Rebuilding a package with a newer toolchain can cause
> > different dependencies and bugs.
> In ubuntu, no changes rebuild-only get the suffix 'buildX' or
> 'ubuntuX+1', depending if it has already diverged. Packages with
> 'buildX' suffix get synced automatically on the next upload to debian.

Are you sure ? Compare the menu package at
with the one in sid. They have the same versions (2.1.27) but not the
same content (at least the dependencies are different.)
No buildX or ubuntuX suffix.

> > 2) I find a bit odd to be called the maintainer of a package I did not
> > test and that I cannot change anyway.
> Ubuntu has a different understanding of the maintainer field of a package.

> > 3) The name of the Ubuntu developers which have tested the package
> > before uploading it is not mentionned in the case of a no-changes
> > upload. I am refraining from assuming there were none.
> It is in debian/changelog.

Grab the package at the URL above abnd check the changelog: no mention
of any Ubuntu developers.