Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:00:53PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:47:05PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Ok, then I must have misunderstood something.  So it is clear then
> > that Ubuntu does recompile every package.
>
> To clarify explicitly:
>
> - Ubuntu does not use any binary packages from Debian
> - Most Ubuntu source packages are identical copies from Debian, while some are modified for Ubuntu
> - All Ubuntu binary packages are built for Ubuntu in Ubuntu chroots
>
> > When you recompile packages, change their version number just as
> > Debian does for binary-NMUs?  That is, the first binary compile for
> > an arch gets the same version number as the original source, but all
> > future recompilations, which would include those done by Ubuntu or
> > anyone else, should get a modified version number.
>
> I believe there are still packages which break when bin-NMU'd (e.g.,
> Depends: = ${Source-Version}), and there are parts of our infrastructure
> which do not support them (Ubuntu doesn't do bin-NMUs).  If it were
> essential to version the packages differently, I would say that the source
> package versions should be changed as well.  Bin-NMUs are more trouble than
> they are worth.

The Source-Version problem will not affect Ubuntu because they rebuild
both binary: all and binary: any packages. The issue with Debian style
binNMU is that we only rebuild the binary: any packages that will have
a different source version than the binary: all packages.
You just need to bump the version before rebuilding the packages and
that's it. It is not different from rebuilding the packages after a
minor change.

> Why is it now important to you that the version numbers be changed, though?
> This is only an issue when mixing packages between different derivatives,
> which already breaks in other subtle ways, so I'm not very much inclined to
> try to un-break it in this particular way, given that it's non-trivial.

At least to avoid namespace conflict between Debian and Ubuntu .deb files.

Cheers,
Bill.