Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 05:57:49PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> mdz writes:
> > It is considered to be in poor taste to report bugs to bugs.debian.org
> > which have not been verified on Debian...
> I should think that in most cases by the time you've produced a patch that
> fixes a bug in an Ubuntu package you would be able to tell whether or not
> the bug is likely to be present in the corresponding Debian package.

It's not quite that simple, since Ubuntu moves some of its core packages
ahead faster than Debian; so then the question is are "support python
2.4, gcc 4" patches appropriate for Debian or not? They might not be
/now/, but they will be in future -- so is filing the bug now an annoying
distraction and thus bad, or a helpful contribution to ease future bumps
in the road, and thus good? I assume the "brief note, link to a patch"
was a compromise to handle those sorts of problems, though I think that
a wishlist bug with a full patch (and possibly a usertag to group them
together) is a better idea.

Cheers,
aj