Re: Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 17:29, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:
> > I don't agree.  This isn't even the case within Debian.  Binary-only NMUs
> > don't modify the source package, even though the binaries are recompiled.
>
> Actually, binary-only NMUs, after the first compilation, *do* get new
> version numbers.

In Debian yes.  Ubuntu recompiles the Debian source, in a
different environment and with different dependencies, then
uploads with exactly the same version as Debian.

Having two different package files with the exactly the same
name and different content and dependencies drove me crazy
for a while until we made our migration scripts smarter.

--Mike Bird