Re: [ad-hominem construct deleted]

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:39:37PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman writes:
> > Is the meaning of this statement truly unclear to you...
>
> "Every Debian developer is also an Ubuntu developer" implies to me that I
> can make uploads to Ubuntu.  I can't (not that I'm asking for that
> privilege).  I don't doubt that it was meant as an expression of gratitude
> and camaraderie, but it does not come across that way.  Perhaps "Every
> Debian developer is, in a sense, also an Ubuntu developer" might get the
> point across more clearly.

On behalf of those of you who insist on this interpretation, I've already
suggested that the wording might be improved, even though I personally think
that it's fine as-is.

> > Emailing every Debian maintainer to notify them that their package is
> > present in Ubuntu sounds like spam to me...
>
> It doesn't to me.  I am pleased when downstream distributions notify me
> that they are using my packages.

Have you ever received such a notification?  There are hundreds of
distributions based on Debian, and more appearing all the time.
Distributions based on Ubuntu are using your packages as well.  How much
unsolicited mail is too much?

--
 - mdz