Re: Need for launchpad

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:58:47PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 05:09:44PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Hmm, it seems to me that Ubuntu has recently changed its practices
> > > regarding what degree of divergence from Debian is appropriate, notably
> > > in the introduction of the MOTU group.
> >
> > The MOTU team was formed about a week after the first release of Ubuntu, in
> > October 2004.
>
> At what point did Ubuntu begin to add lots of people who weren't already
> seasoned Debian developers to the MOTU team, and set them loose making
> large numbers of changes to packages? Perhaps that's the inflection
> point that I'm looking for.

The MOTU team has never had a significant number of seasoned Debian
developers on it.  If such a developer is interested in contributing
directly to Ubuntu, they are more likely to join the core development team,
and the fact that we're already trusting them implicitly in certain ways is
taken into account when considering their application.  It has also always
been a relatively small group of people tackling maintenance of a large set
of packages, especially when considering transitions (e.g., new C++ ABI,
Python minor revisions) which involve changing a very large number of
packages.

I think that you're looking for justification for your position after the
fact, rather than making judgements based on observations.  I'm not entirely
sure where your negativity over Ubuntu originated (though I could hazard a
guess or two), but it wasn't because the MOTU team suddenly started behaving
differently.

--
 - mdz