Re: Does it sometimes happen that people send mails before NMU ?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:34:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:41:12AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > > Well, no, but the fact that it's a longstanding release-critical bug, with
> > > no maintainer response, means that it does warrant NMUer attention.  If some
> > > non-free files have been missed in the process, that would be bad, but that
> > > doesn't seem to be a reason to not try?  Of course, it's your prerogative as
> > > maintainer to review the contents of the NMU for correctness before
> > > acknowledging the bug closure.
> > Yes, it's my fault i didn't tag the bug or sent any feedback, but I'm
> > actually trying to find a better solution than removing the files, with
> > upstream cooperation, considering that upstream adds new testcases quite
> > often, and that any addition is likely to have the same problem.
>
> Then you should reopen the bug (or remove the fixed tag), retitle it
> to "Previous non-free content should be reincluded under a free list"
> and set the severity to wishlist.
>
> Having an NMU that removes the files doesn't stop you from readding them
> later when you and upstream have come to a conclusion.
>
> > Fixing RC bugs just for the sake of making the RC bug count down is not
> > the best thing to do IMHO.
>
> Putting a temporary fix in place while a permanent one continues to be
> worked out is /exactly/ the right thing to do.

Putting a fix that solves partially the problem so that we can say the
RC bug is closed is not exactly the right thing to do.
There are much more than the removed files whose content is doubtful
license-wise. On the other hand, some of the removed files (the slashdot
rss feeds, for instance), are not exactly the kind of document that
ought to have licensing issues, but IANAL.
The "right" temporary fix, then, would have been to remove *all* the test
files.
But the files listed in the RC bug have been removed, the RC bug is
"fixed", the RC bug count going down, so everything is fine.

Mike