Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:57:15 +0100, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> said:

> Hello,
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:35:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> > I believe Ubuntu fills an important gap in the Debian world and
>> > as such
>>
>> Ubuntu is not part of the Debian world,

> That's simply wrong given the many people who use both and who cares
> about both. You're only one inside Debian and you can't generalize
> your personal opinion on the whole project.

        Err, there are about a hundred distributions based on
 Debian. Do you think polluting d-d-a with announcements from these
 100 or so distributions is appropriate? (I can easily patch in
 Xandors and mepis announcements to d-d-a, really, and others should
 not be hard to pick up).

        The Debian development announcements mailing list is for
 *DEBIAN* development announcements -- everything else os off topic.

> Furthermore we heard several times that some DD were unhappy about
> the version of their packages in Ubuntu which was integrated without
> their opinion and this mail is an opportunity for people like those
> who care to voice their opinion about their packages in Ubuntu.

        Err, we distribute free software. How downstream users use
 free software is up to them. This is the freedoms we are striving
 for. I don't really want to hear announcements from gazillions of
 people about how they are planning to integrate software I work on
 into proprietary distributions of Linux.

> If you don't care about Ubuntu, just don't collaborate but please do
> not fight other Debian developers who are intested in working
> together with Ubuntu.

        Then take such off topic stuff off the debian development
 announcements list.

        manoj
--
heavy, adj.: Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.