Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:27:31 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:26:25AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:35:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> > I believe Ubuntu fills an important gap in the Debian world and
>> > as such

>> Ubuntu is not part of the Debian world, because it does not share
>> the values that found Debian.

> That's kind of a strange position to take, isn't it?  Does this mean
> that the many users who use Debian directly sheerly on technical
> excellence alone, without sharing Debian's "founding values", are
> not part of the "Debian world"?  For that matter, I don't know of
> any derivative Debian distributions that require their developers to
> agree to the social contract; so by that standard, are *any* of them
> part of the "Debian world"?

        The context here is whether announcements from such groups
 are on topic on d-d-a. I have a local LUG where lots of people use
 Debian -- and there are debian based install fests and so on (and
 talks, and BOF meetings over beer and pizza). I am not sure I think
 gating the announcements from my LUG to the d-d-a list is
 appropriate.

        In this context, we have a low volume lists that all
 developers are supposed to subscribe to, and keeping the noise in the
 mailing list down is probably best.

        manoj
--
You seek to shield those you love and you like the role of the
provider.