Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:27:31 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:26:25AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:35:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> > I believe Ubuntu fills an important gap in the Debian world and
>> > as such

>> Ubuntu is not part of the Debian world, because it does not share
>> the values that found Debian.

> That's kind of a strange position to take, isn't it?  Does this mean
> that the many users who use Debian directly sheerly on technical
> excellence alone, without sharing Debian's "founding values", are
> not part of the "Debian world"?  For that matter, I don't know of
> any derivative Debian distributions that require their developers to
> agree to the social contract; so by that standard, are *any* of them
> part of the "Debian world"?

        The context here is whether announcements from such groups
 are on topic on d-d-a. I have a local LUG where lots of people use
 Debian -- and there are debian based install fests and so on (and
 talks, and BOF meetings over beer and pizza). I am not sure I think
 gating the announcements from my LUG to the d-d-a list is

        In this context, we have a low volume lists that all
 developers are supposed to subscribe to, and keeping the noise in the
 mailing list down is probably best.

You seek to shield those you love and you like the role of the