Re: Need for launchpad

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:34:33 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:
>> I can't agree.  From the sound of this and other threads, there are
>> a number of folks who are unlikely to be satisfied with any
>> behavior on the part of the Ubuntu project or its members.
>> Fortunately, there are others who are actively cooperating to the
>> mutual benefit of the two projects.

> Really, it's very easy.  I would be satisfied if both of the
> following were done:

> Every time you find a bug in an Ubuntu package, make some effort to
> determine if it is Ubuntu-specific or might rather affect all Debian
> users.  If it is not Ubuntu-specific, then file a bug report, and
> optionally, a patch, in the Debian BTS.

        I am with this.

        I would also like to get a bug report if there is a new
 feature in the ubuntu package, separated out from other changes.

> Every Ubuntu package should have a different Maintainer unless the
> Debian maintainer has agreed to be the Maintainer of the Ubuntu
> package as well.  The Ubuntu package should, of course, continue to
> give credit to the upstream Debian maintainer, but not by
> designating that individual as the Maintainer in the Ubuntu package.

        I really don't care, unless the package has been heavily
 modified, in which case I don't want my reputation to hang off
 a package that I no longer control.

        None of this is any different from how I work with my
 upstreams, so this is not unreasonable modus operandi.

        manoj
--
It is up to us to produce better-quality movies. Lloyd Kaufman,
producer of "Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator"