Re: Development standards for unstable

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> How do you know?

The BTS.

> > Most of the orphaned packages are orphaned because they're obscure and the
> > person who cared about the package has left the project or run out of
> > time.  However, they are probably still working fine for people with those
> > obscure needs, and as such there isn't an obvious significant gain for
> > Debian by getting rid of them.
>
> I think that not shipping unmaintained and unsupported packages is a
> benefit. Packages need a maintainer to enter, I think they should need
> one to stay.

You wouldn't say that if you were a user using an orphaned package ... I'm
sorry, there's no "global answer" to orphaned packages. Sometimes they are
obsolete and should be dropped. Sometimes they're not and we should try to
find maintainers for them. If we can't find maintainers inside Debian, we
should look in the upstream community around the software and use
adequate infrastructure :
http://wiki.debian.org/CollaborativeMaintenance

Of course, it's easier to say than to do and I have only 24 hours per day.
:-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog