Re: Need for launchpad

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:48:56AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Why?  Don't we expect users to decide which of their local changes are
> suitable for Debian?  I sometimes make local changes to Debian packages.
> Sometimes I send patches to the BTS and sometimes I decide that the change
> is only relevant to my local situation.  Should I instead put them all up
> on a Web site and expect the maintainers to sort through them?

This is a very interesting analogy.  Over the years, I have worked at many
sites which carried local changes to upstream software, changes which were
never seen outside of the company.  Usually this isn't because they don't
care, but because no one got around to it, or because they didn't know how.
As a Debian developer, you are comfortable with the process and motivated to
follow it, while most end users are neither.

You may expect users to do this, but in my experience, they most often
don't.  You simply don't hear about it.

> Again, why should Ubuntu's patches be handled any differently than those of
> other users?

I would say that Ubuntu's patches are handled better than those of Debian
end users in general and better than those of other Debian derivatives.
Ironically, the fact that the patches are so visible has resulted in a
recurring controversy over how they should be handled, while patches which
rot unknown do not reflect on their creators at all.

> I don't either.  After all, most users don't file bug reports, and Ubuntu
> is (in my view), a user.

I disagree with this analogy; Ubuntu is a collaborative project with a
sizeable number of developers, and it doesn't behave like a user to any
meaningful degree.

--
 - mdz