Re: Need for launchpad

John Hasler wrote:
> I can't see how putting up patches on a Web site is better than
> (or even as good as) filing bug reports.

The web site requires less labor to maintain than hundreds of bug reports.

> Again, why should Ubuntu's patches be handled any differently than
> those of other users?

In short: because Ubuntu isn't just another user, but a whole distribution.

cobaco wrote:
> So how is it the Debian maintainers responsibility to go hunting for
> usefull patches?

I did not say that it is a DD's responsibility to go hunting for patches.
As is well known, Debian developers don't have responsibilities
(Constitution article 2.1).  However, if a particular Debian Developer
feels motivated to improve his package then he'd be well advised to
examine what Ubuntu has done to it.

Transfer of information requires two parties: a provider and a recipient.
Ubuntu, the provider, has published its changes.  The transfer can only
be completed when the receiver is ready to receive, but this is not
always the condition of Debian maintainers.  So it is efficient if the
transfer take place on the initiative of the latter.  Once he or she is
ready, he or she doesn't have to "hunt", because the patches are all at
a known location.

    http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~scott/patches/

> Ah, here we come to the heart of the problem: "when they have been
> approached", this clearly points to the fact that the initiative
> for synchronization between ubuntu and debian lies with Debian not
> Ubuntu (by and large, some exceptions have been mentioned).

Right.

> In the mean while Ubuntu proudly calls "ubuntu gives things back",
> whereas in reality we mostly have a situation of "ubuntu will help
> debian maintainers that want to take things back"

I don't see a profound difference between "helping to take" and "giving".
Perhaps what you want is "giving on a silver platter"?

> -> It's this misrepresentation of where (most of) the initiative lies
> which pisses people off.

I think that people are pissed off for other reasons.  (But I admit
that I can only speculate.  I can't read people's hearts and minds.)

Suppose Ubuntu were to cease claiming[0] that it gives back to Debian.
Would everyone be happy then?  I doubt it.

[0] Here: http://ubuntu.com/ubuntu/relationship?highlight=%28debian%29
there's a claim that "they send their bugfixes to the Debian developers
responsible for that package in debian and record the patch URL in the
debian bug system."
--
Thomas Hood