Re: Canonical's business model

On 1/11/06, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
> >> No, I think it's because Ubuntu doesn't cooperate well with Debian,
> >> while pretending to cooperate.
> >
> > Does Debian want to cooperate with Ubuntu, and how well does Debian
> > do?  What steps could Ubuntu and Debian reasonably take to improve
> > cooperation?
>
> Ubuntu could report in the BTS all the bugs it finds, and submit
> patches via the BTS.

What about bugs which are only applicable in ubuntu due to different
depending packages? Do you really want to track all problems of a
package in ubuntu within the debian bts? I assume not.

For bugs applicable to both debian and ubuntu, I usually do file bugs
are in the debian bts, as many other ubuntu users and developers also
do. What do you expect more?

> Ubuntu could find a way to do its own bug triage on packages for its
> users, rather than leaving Debian maintainer fields unmodified.

This is an old discussion with no real result. If the Maintainer field
was changed, then ubuntu would be blamed for stealing credits from the
original maintainer, something we don't want either.

--
regards,
    Reinhard