Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:25:28AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 09:49, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:02:09AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > > Luckily that the bts of Launchpad has a mailinterface..which is quite
> > > nice. So some other parts will have mailinterfaces as well, and some
> > > other goodies where someone can attach some nice cli tools.
> >
> > Which nobody except the Blessed Few (being those who have signed the NDA
> > allowing them access to the Launchpad code) can modify or enhance.
>
> Everything what is on https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/ is free to use.
> Read and think again. Or use another example: Amazons code is not free to
> see, but you can use the interfaces described in their developers documents,
> same applies to google api.

This point is moot unless you can point me to the launchpad public API.
Which, AFAIK, does not exist.

[...]
> Well, if I see the difference between 20 people working on one application and
> translating them in less then 2 hours, or I'm sitting in a dark, cold cellar,
> alone, only with vi, and translating 30 strings in 2 hours, what is more
> worth for OSS or free software?

The latter. Because a translation of 20 strings that is done by 20
different people usually sucks, as the DDTP could have told you.

> > > But why should I tell that to a unix-guru, who can't even read the code
> > > of conduct of the mailinglist of the distribution he is working for.
> >
> > People in glass houses, and all that.  Last time I got a serve from someone
> > on an Ubuntu channel, I raised the issue of the Code of Conduct and got
> > told "so what?".
>
> I don't know if this guy who said that, ever signed the code of conduct, well
> I signed it, and I try to stick with it as hard as I can. Ok, nobody can take
> my sort of irony or sarcasm away. I'm sorry for that.

Nobody here "signed" the CoC of the Debian lists. Go away.

> > > Finally, are you not able to use lynx?
> >
> > I know your smarter than that.  Pressing the down-arrow 50 times to reach
> > an action button takes a lot longer than typing a quick command to invoke
> > that same action, and we both know it.  Please don't throw bogus solutions
> > around like that, it only encourages him.
>
> Hehe...well, it's a matter of working behaviour. I never said, that working
> from the CLI is not faster or more productive sometimes. What I'm trying to
> say is, that this "arrogant elite thinking" must go away.

There is no arrogant elite thinking here. You must have been looking at
a different mail than I did.

What I did see was a concern that the launchpad stuff would not work for
most Debian Developers, because most Debian Developers prefer the
command line anyway. And from personal experience, I'd guess that
concern is founded.

> We have to focus on what we all want, that is bring good software to
> the world.  For that, we have to find a simple and usable solution,
> that everyone can work with.

Don't confuse user experience with developer interface, please. The two
are so totally different you'd need a car to get from one end to the
other.

[...]
> least another way. If Debian never followed this example, well I think there
> wouldn't be a webinterface for Debian BTS at all and all the informations of
> debian on the webpage, we would find in gopher or txt files which i have to
> search with archie.

I'm not sure what you've been smoking, but you can be a very good Debian
Developer without ever using a webinterface.

* Most of the documentation accessible through http://www.debian.org is
  available in packages (developers-guid, debian-policy, ...)
* The BTS can be managed from the commandline, with the "reportbug" and
  "bts" programs (in the reportbug and devscripts packages,
  respectively).
* There is an LDAP interface to the BTS that you can use to search and
  view bugs; there is an email interface to request lists of bugs and
  details on bugs; send an email with "help" in the body to
  request@bugs.debian.org for details.
* ... and so on.

The same is true for most of the Debian tools. The same isn't true for
Launchpad, as far as I've seen.

> > > But give them a choice, because linux/unix is choice.
> >
> > *cough*NDA*cough*.
>
> To use a tool, I don't need a NDA.

To modify it, in this case, you do. And for any developer's tool to be
useful, it needs to be modifiable.

--