Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:44:57 +0100, Stephan Hermann <sh@sourcecode.de> said:

> On Sunday 08 January 2006 10:39, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>> And even then have uncertain chances of getting it deployed into a
>> place where it's useful, and goodness knows how practical it would
>> be to do this anyway - the backend limitations could be anything.

> Sure, but this applies to any software, actually the best example is
> the kernel. If there wouldn't be anything restrictive, well, we
> would swim in closed source drivers from hardware manufactures for
> their shiny hardware, and everybody would be happy and dancing.

        If you want windows, you know where to get it. I am not sure I
 want closed source junk in the kernel, and I certainly would not be
 happy and dancing. I think that is the false premise you are
 operating from.

> As I said, it's a matter of the working behaviour. I'm almost faster
> with the keyboard even on UIs then with the mouse or touchpad, but
> it doesn't mean, that others are fast as well.  People who can use
> the CLI are blessed, but leaving the others behind?

        No one is being left behind. Any proponent of a user interface
 can do the work, and provide compatible gidgets. (Gnome, JDE, et al
 come to mind). But the people who prefer not to use a GUI also have
 equal rights.

> No, elite thinking was yesterday, today is, how we can gather more
> people around a project, to work on.

        Err, if that motivates you, great. You can do the work. It
 does not really formulate my motivation. Gathering more people is not
 really what fires me up.

> the more people we can gather, the faster we will accomplish goals.

        Depends on the quality of the people, and, even with high
 quality people, throwing more manpower on the jb does not do what you
 think it does. Go read the "Mythical Man Month" if you think
 differently.

> Therefore, a lot of people never learned the advantages of cli, and
> more people don't want to learn them. Why? I don't know, and it
> doesn't matter.  But, even those people we have to reach with an
> easy to use interface, and if this means: webapplications, so be
> it. It doesn't mean, that I or you have to use it, but thousands of
> other people can use it, and they're quite good in using a simple
> webbrowser.

        That is well and good, but why should I spend my time on tasks
 that I have no interest in?  You like the GUI, you work on it.
 What;s in it for me?

        manoj
--
"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to conquer
the world."-- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.